Sunday 5 February 2012

Tutorial 1: What is language?

Assalamualaikum and good morning to all!!

(I dedicated this big smile for you!)

How are you today?
Hope your today is much BETTER than yesterday, insyaAllah. =)
Well, now, I will like to share something about the new subject that I take for this semester.
The new subject is English for Language Teacher and our lecturer is Madam Ira.

For the first time Madam Ira come into our class and speak to us, I felt amazed.
Her words are just like some magic which can make me (*oppss*) STOP and listen to her. =)

I felt amazed with the way she talks, confidently, the way she pronouns her every single word, clearly and of course the way she motivates us. She can be a good motivator for me as every time she speaks I will smile for enjoying her every single NICE words, dedicated for all of our class. Thanks Madam!

So, for me, went into her class is not just LISTEN to her every single words only, but how I wish and wish I can speak like her too. I hope at the end of this semester, I can achieve my targets:
1) speaks English confidently just like Madam Ira  =)
2) enrich my vocabulary with the 'help' of this little blog =)
3) have good pronunciation and grammar
4) become a good motivator

InsyaAllah, I will try my very best to achieve my targets and hope all of you can help me.

So, please feel free to leave any comment of your own. Thank you!

"However, what is language actually??" asked by our lecturer.

Well, if you asked me, for sure, I will have my answer theoretically.

"Language is the tool for communication, to deliver information from the speaker to the listener.
 Language can be verbal and non-verbal for example, body language.
 Language has its own structure which can be study for example, grammar, morphemes, phonetics and sound systems."

I told you. ^_^  It's very theoretical. But, remember, there is no "wrong" or "right" for your very own of definition of language.

Hmm... do you ever think why I say there is no "WRONG" or "RIGHT"?? Please raise your hand to answer my question. =)

I know the answer is in deep of your heart. You want to know the answer??

So, please look for the answer in the following quote:


"Language is the mother of thought, not its handmaiden."
(Karl Kraus)


Okay, now, can you figure out the answer??

Still can't? I'm very generous (*wink*), so I will give you another clue. 


"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world."
(Ludwig Wittgenstein)




Well, from the above quotes that I have given, we can say that there is no "wrong" or "right" because:

1) your very own definitions of language, no matter verbal or written on a piece of paper, is your VERY OWN THOUGHT.
So, very simple, your LANGUAGE = your VERY OWN THOUGHT
(Read: Refer to the first quote)

2) If we say "wrong" or "right", then your LANGUAGE = your VERY OWN THOUGHT is LIMITED.
(Read: Refer to the second quote)

I would like to quote one the Maher Zain's words from the interview for a television programme, "Istimewa Maher Zain."

He said, " if you want to speak to the world, speak through music."

So, what is the language used by Maher Zain to speak or to deliver his THOUGHT to the world??

The LANGUAGE of MUSIC.

Alhamdulillah, me, myself, get a clearer thought about LANGUAGE through this interesting quote from
Mr. French linguist Ferdinand de Saussure. ^_^




"A language can be compared to a sheet of paper. Thought is one side of the sheet and sound the reverse side. Just as it is impossible to take a pair of scissors and cut one side of the paper without at the same time cutting the other, so it is impossible in a language to isolate sound from thought, or thought from sound."

(French linguist Ferdinand de Saussure)

This is my LANGUAGE of THOUGHT. There is no "wrong" or "right". 

So, what is your LANGUAGE of THOUGHT...?

I know the answer is in deep of your heart.

Assalamualaikum, bye~

With Love,
Liza Tiong~

The link where I got all those quotation.
http://grammar.about.com/od/il/g/languageterm.htm


























No comments:

Post a Comment