Monday 6 February 2012

Language Functions


Bismillahirahmanirahim….

Assalamualaikum and hi everyone!

It have been a long time I don’t visit my this little blog…poor it… =(

But, don’t worry… Because, now, I would like to share an activity which my groups’ member and I (Miss Naja, Miss  Juliza and Miss Nurr Azreen) have done for this week.

Well, for your information, our class had been required to role play a dialogue based on tutorial Week 1 and identify the functions used in the dialogue.

At first, during the discussion, we have no idea to create any of dialogue. But, then, since at that time, the Chinese New Year celebration is just around the corner, so my friends and I decided to create a dialogue based on that happening celebration as me myself also celebrate that festival too. Yeeppy!

Angpau...lai, lai, lai...

So, this is the “result” after a few sessions of “branstorming”…=)
PPRMT5

DAYANG NARZERIAH BT HAJI ABANG YAKUP as NAJA
JULIZA BT YUSUF TAMBI as JUE
NORMARLIZA BT FAISAL TIONG as LIZA
NURR AZREEN BT ABDUL KARIM as INN

CHARACTER
DIALOGUE
NAJA
Hi, girls! Good morning! Chinese New Year is coming. Do you girls go back for holiday? (To ask)
LIZA
Yes! I will go back for sure because it is my family celebration (To reply). How about you girls?(To ask)
INN
I’m not sure yet because my parents are not at home for the time being (To reply).
JUE
Same goes for me as we have not received our allowances yet (To explain).
LIZA
So pity for both of you. Why don’t both of you come with me? Let’s celebrate the Chinese New Year with me and my family. (To invite)
INN
Hmm…I don’t think I can join you because I already have my own plans for this coming holiday (To decline).
JUE
Cool! It’s a good idea! But, I have to ask permission from my parents first (To half agree)
NAJA
Anyway, are you serious Liza? Since I always dream of celebrating Chinese New Year, don’t you mind if I go along with you? May I? May I? (To request)
LIZA
Yes, why not? It’s my honor to have you as my special guest (To agree).
NAJA
Wow! That sounds lovely. Thanks, Liza (To thank). By the way, what is so special about Chinese New Year celebration? Come on, tell us! (To ask).
JUE
Oh, I know. I know! One of them is Lion Dance. I really enjoy the Lion Dance show. It’s what I’m waiting for every year (To express).
INN
But, I know the most special one! (To express)
JUE
What is it? What is it? (To ask)
INN
Angpau! Since I’m not coming with you, so don’t forget my angpau, okay! (To remind)
LIZA
Yes, both of you are correct. But, I’m so sorry, my dear. (To apologize). I’m not married yet so I can’t give you angpau. (To explain)
INN
Why can’t? (To confirm)
LIZA
It’s a tradition. I can’t change it. (To explain)
NAJA
Oh, I see. Actually I’m so excited to play fireworks. (To express)
LIZA
Yes, me too. It is the most exciting part in Chinese New Year celebration for me. (To respond)
JUE
Really? That sounds great! (To respond)
LIZA
So, what are you waiting for? (To convince)
JUE
Alright, I’ll try my best to convince my parents. (To agree)
INN
If that so, I have to think twice about this. (To confirm)
LIZA
Good! That’s my friend (To praise)
NAJA
Awesome! Let’s shopping for a new cheongsam, girls! (To invite)
LIZA, JUE & INN
Let’s go!!! (To agree)

“The making of” dialogue and role play!

After we create the dialogue, we immediately sent the dialogue to Madam Ira’s e-mail for her to check it especially the “little” grammatical errors which we have done…

After we received the dialogue which has been “edited” by Madam, so, what are you waiting for?? Let’s practice the role play!

During the practice, for me, it’s quite a happening and hilarious “experiences”. Although I am not a good actor, but my friends keep encouraging me and motivating me to act like a real one.

Credit and thumbs up for Miss Naja, Miss  Juliza and Miss Nurr Azreen.


During the real role play, I can proudly say that my group has done the best for it. InsyaAllah. As we have tried very hard to make the dialogue more interesting and “live”.

I am also enjoyed with my classmate’s role play, which is Edward’s group. Seriously, they are so funny and their role play is about a client who would like to buy a hair shampoo and there are a few salesman and saleswoman who also promoting their own brand of shampoo. They even bring the real shampoo into the class!

After each group role play their own dialogue, we have been required to answer three question from the “performing” group.

The question is…

 “What functions have been used in the dialogue?”

Ok, please answer it…^_^ For example…

“The line, “Let’s celebrate the Chinese New Year with me and my family” is to invite.”

“That’s true, very good!” (From me…)

Next, I would like to share a few more information about language functions.

Language functions refer to the purposes in which we use language to communicate. We use language for a variety of formal and informal purposes, and specific grammatical structures and vocabulary are often used with each language function. Some examples of language functions include:
  • Compare and contrast
  • Persuasion
  • Asking questions
  • Expressing likes and dislikes
  • Cause and effect
  • Summarizing
  • Sequencing
  • Predicting
  • Agreeing/disagreeing
  • Greeting people/introductions
The information was taken from http://eldstrategies.com/languagefunctions.html.

So, from this happening and interesting activity, I can learn more about language functions and able to identify and used it properly in our daily communication and interaction.

Penguin talk...
So, let’s learn Language Functions! (To invite!)

Assalamualaikum, bye~

With Love,
Liza Tiong~








No comments:

Post a Comment